Director of Field Programs
What We’re Looking For:
FoodCorps is seeking a highly skilled leader with experience building, managing and supporting high performing teams and effective programs, preferably within national organizations. The Director of Field Programs is a new role at FoodCorps, and will evolve over the next two years to support and align with implementation of the FoodCorps 2020 strategic plan, which will shift FoodCorps programs from a network of national partnerships to a state office structure.
Working in collaboration with the Senior Director of Programs, this role will supervise four current Program Managers while leading the roll-out of 11 FoodCorps state offices in their first year. In subsequent years the Director of Field Programs will oversee direct service operations, supervising, supporting and maintaining accountability for the work of 12 state managers. This person will play a critical role in furthering our work to achieve program quality, fidelity and impact across our national network of field staff, nonprofit and school partners, and AmeriCorps service members. Successful candidates will be mission-driven leaders with a passion for national service, performance management, and building diverse and effective teams both in-person and across geographic distance.
This full-time position will be based in FoodCorps’ Portland, Oregon office.
Who We Are:
FoodCorps believes every school should be a healthy school and every child – regardless of race, place or class – deserves to be well nourished and ready to learn. In underserved communities across the country, our AmeriCorps leaders teach students about healthy food through hands-on lessons, partner with farmers and food service workers to create nutritious and delicious school meals, and collaborate with communities to ensure a long-term culture of health. Building on this foundation of direct impact, FoodCorps pursues systemic strategies that will benefit all of our nation’s 100,000 schools.
Who You Are:
You are passionate about FoodCorps’ mission and excited by the prospect of building and managing a large, diverse team, guiding large-scale organizational change, and developing the internal systems to operate a high-quality direct service program in schools across 12+ states. You are adept at coaching and supporting individuals remotely. You bring proven experience working in mission-driven national nonprofits and are fueled by the challenge of achieving scale, impact, sustainability and systems change through your work. You have an eye toward system-level strategy while managing towards highly effective on the ground implementation. You are able to comfortably juggle multiple projects with tight deadlines. You excel at building strong partnerships and cultivating networks of mission-aligned individuals and organizations. You have a commitment to diversity and inclusion with a desire to work for social and racial justice.
Hire, onboard, supervise, and support a large and diverse team that will be responsible for the delivery of consistent and high quality direct service programs across 12 states
- Assist with the hiring of 12 new State Program Managers and lead the design and delivery of on-boarding, training and culture building experiences for this cohort of state leaders
- Assume direct management of three Regional Program Managers through program year 2018
- Establish a strong team culture of learning and performance management with a focus on ensuring that State Managers are prepared to provide best-in-class training, coaching and support to school based service members.
- Leverage data and evaluation findings to inform program management and service member training and support
Serve as an internal leader in helping FoodCorps continue our path towards programmatic scale, fidelity, quality and sustainability through implementation of the FoodCorps Strategic Plan
- During the 2018 program year the Director will facilitate the launch of 11 FoodCorps state field offices, providing oversight for state level strategy mapping, managing the transfer of program supervision, the selection of service sites, and the onboarding of new State Managers
- Work with the Senior Director of Programs to develop processes, systems and trainings aimed at increasing FoodCorps’ program quality and impact at the school and student level while preserving the ability to adapt our program to the diverse contexts and cultures in which we operate
- Guide existing partners and stakeholders through evolution in program design and implementation, aligning existing partners to new requirements and expectations
- Ensure strong financial health of FoodCorps through oversight of service fee collection
Provide superior relationship management to FoodCorps state-level and community-level partners
- Work with State Program Managers to establish and preserve positive and mutually beneficial relationships with FoodCorps partners in the states we serve, and steward those relationships through organizational and programmatic changes
- Support State Program Managers in establishing advisory boards that are aligned to and invested in vetting FoodCorps strategy and policy within the state
- Support State Program Managers in scaling FoodCorps’ direct service programs by forging new partnerships with schools and districts
Skills of the Ideal Candidate:
- Proven experience working in a leadership position in a multi-site organization, with strong preference for experience in a national organization
- Enjoys building teams, coaching employees and celebrating success
- Strong skills managing a remote workforce
- Deeply shares FoodCorps’ commitment to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, and brings actionable plans to apply that commitment to your work with students, schools, service members, staff and external partners.
- Adept at building and managing relationships with external stakeholders
- Intellectual curiosity and ability to think outside of the box to efficiently solve problems
- Adaptable to the ever-changing environment of a fast-growing organization
- Comfort working in a fast-paced, data driven, learning organization
- Detail oriented, with strong organizational and analytical skills
- Ability and willingness to work evenings/weekends and travel when necessary
- Proficiency in PowerPoint, Excel, Google Docs and Salesforce preferred
How to Apply:
Applications will be accepted through until our ideal candidate is identified. To be considered, submit your résumé, cover letter and salary requirements through our hiring site at http://foodcorps.hiringthing.com/.
FoodCorps pays salaries that are competitive with nonprofits of our budget size and geographic location, and offers generous vacation and medical benefits, 401(k) matching, professional development funds and a sabbatical policy. This position is a Director-level role with an annual salary range beginning at $80,000.
People of color, people with disabilities, veterans and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. FoodCorps is committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities. FoodCorps is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its employment decisions. FoodCorps provides reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees as required by law.
Applicants with disabilities may request reasonable accommodation at any point in the employment process.